Friday, January 30, 2009

[Classic] Battlestar Galactica uniform update

I'm finally to the point where I can begin on the Battlestar Galactica (BSG) commission. I will be documenting my progress here on my blog. Here is my "Research and Development" installment.

First, I had to dig out all of my research material that I had gleaned or had given to me over the past year or so. Then, I decided to add to it, because the more I dig into the "how" of the uniform construction, the more questions I end up having! I've been able to find images of original uniforms in private collectors' possessions as well as images from the show itself, showing how the uniforms were worn, how they fit each person, how the uniforms adjust to fit differences in size, gender, etc. A good example of the difference in uniform for differing sizes and genders is this picture I found while searching the web:

Here are some of my research materials, gathered over the course of a year or so. On the far right is some of the butter suede fabric I will be using to make my uniform when I get the chance. (I was originally planning on working on the commission [a male uniform] and mine [a female uniform] at the same time, but I won't get an accurate measure of myself as I am currently 18½ weeks pregnant!...I don't recall seeing any pregnant Colonial Warriors, so I'll wait until after the baby comes to work on mine.)

Here is a picture of some of the patterns I had on hand that I used and looked at to help in the pattern making process. Some of them I merely glanced at, while some were used as a base/starting point. Thanks to my Mom, I have a vintage 1970s pants and jacket pattern, so I was able to use the "style of the era" to help influence my pattern making process. Unfortunately, the pattern is only one size, which was 2 sizes smaller than I needed, but it was still very helpful. Also pictured is a sheet of my pattern notes, to be sure I got everything the way it needs to be as I made the pattern as well as the actual construction process.

Here is an image of the patterns for the tunic (left) and pants (right) that I have worked up so far. My next step will be making a mock-up to see how the pattern comes together. I'll work from the mock-up to see if I need to make any changes to my patterns. Hopefully, I have it pretty close and won't need to make any drastic changes.