Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Padme Mustafar Update

I've made some more progress on my Padme Mustafar costume.

The original costume has leather straps that criss-cross the bust area. I didn't want to take the money for real leather, so I used some pleather I had left over from a previous project. The pleather I had wasn't long enough to span all the way across my chest and to my back, so I had to piece it. I chose to piece it directly in the middle where the "buckle" will go, so that the buckle will help hide the seam.

To conceal the edges of the pleather, I folded it to the backside and hot glued the edges down. This way, I didn't have to worry about stitches showing since the pleather is too stiff and narrow to sew in a tube and turn right side out. The hot glue is still flexible enough to bend with the straps around my body.

Here are some progress pictures:

Hot gluing the straps.

Closer view of hot gluing.

The straps on the outfit, after gluing. (I haven't sewn the straps together in the back yet, they are just pinned in place.)

After gluing.

I have sewn the pants, but they turned out too baggy, so I need to re-work them. I am waiting until I am a little further along in my pregnancy before finalizing the size, so I don't make them too tight. Next, I will be working on the broach and buckle. I will be making them out of Sculpey clay.

To see my previous update click Here.